Gynecomastia surgery, also referred to as male breast reduction surgery, is a cosmetic operation that aims to decrease the size of the breasts in men. The procedure involves eliminating surplus fat, glandular tissue, and skin from the breasts. It is usually performed while the patient is under general anaesthesia and typically takes between one to three hours to complete.
Gynecomastia is the overgrowth of the breast because of declining testosterone hormone in men and can be seen at all ages. Gynecomastia can occur in the forms of regional fat deposition, development of gland tissue, excess mammal skin which could be seen on single breast or both.
Firstly, the reason for gynecomastia should be examine before the operation. This is generally due to hormonal change, obesity, genetic reasons or side effects of some drugs. All other cases than those occurred due to hormonal reasons are treated by gynecomastia surgery. Procedure to be applied under general anesthesia, it is possible to permanently get rid of overgrown breasts.
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery, also known as male breast reduction surgery, is a cosmetic procedure that aims to reduce the size of the breasts in men. The surgery involves the removal of excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin from the breasts. The procedure is usually performed under general anaesthesia, and takes between one and three hours to complete.
What Are Gynaecomastia Surgery Techniques?
There are several techniques that can be used for this surgery, depending on the severity of the condition and the individual’s unique anatomy. Here are some of the most common techniques:
- Liposuction: This technique is used when excess breast tissue is mostly made up of fat. During liposuction, small incisions are made in the chest area, and a small tube called a cannula is used to suction out the excess fat with Vaser liposuction
- Excision: This technique is used when excess breast tissue is mainly composed of glandular tissue or if the patient has sagging skin. During this procedure, incisions are made around the areola or in the underarm area, and the excess tissue is removed.
- Combination technique: This technique involves using both liposuction and excision to remove excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin.
- Minimal incision technique: This technique is used for mild to moderate cases of gynaecomastia. It involves making small incisions and using a small camera to guide the surgeon in removing the excess tissue.
- Laser-assisted liposuction: This technique uses Laser technology to melt fat cells, which are then removed using liposuction. This technique is less invasive and may result in less bleeding, bruising, and scarring.
- Ultrasonic liposuction: This technique uses ultrasound energy to break up fat cells before they are suctioned out. This technique called vaser liposuction, may be used for patients with dense breast tissue or if the surgeon needs to remove a large amount of fat.
Gynecomastia surgery must be applied under general anesthesia, in the operating room. The corset recommended by the specialist doctor must be worn for at least 1 month after the operation.
After the gynecomastia surgery, bruise, edema and swelling can be seen in the treatment area. These reduce and get recovered after the 3rd week. Breasts will gain their shape after 3 months approximately.
Who Are Candidates for Gynecomastia Surgery?
It is important to note that gynecomastia surgery is not a substitute for weight loss or a healthy lifestyle. In fact, maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle is important both before and after the surgery to ensure the best possible results. Gynecomastia surgery may be suitable for men who have:
- Enlarged breasts that cause discomfort, embarrassment or self-consciousness
- Breast development that is asymmetrical, with one breast being significantly larger than the other
- Tried non-surgical treatments without success
- A stable weight, with no plans for significant weight loss in the near future
- Realistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery
- Male patients whose condition cannot be treated with alternative medical methods;
- Persons who do not have medical conditions preventing healing or have a life-critical illness;
- Physically healthy men in normal weight and men who complain about enlarged breasts.
Procedure can be applied to adolescents, but if growing continues, a second operation might be required.
What is the Recovery Process of Gynecomastia Surgery Like?
Following the surgery, you will be transferred to a recovery area where your condition will be closely monitored until the effects of the anesthesia wear off. It is normal to experience discomfort, pain, bruising, or swelling in the chest region, which can be managed using medication and ice packs. To help reduce swelling and support the healing process, you will be advised to wear a compression garment or wrap around your chest for a few weeks.
For at least two weeks after the surgery, you should avoid strenuous activities and heavy lifting. Additionally, you should refrain from sleeping on your stomach or engaging in any activities that could put pressure on your chest. It is essential to attend follow-up appointments with your surgeon to track your progress and ensure that you are healing appropriately
Does Gynecomastia Surgery Leave Scar?
Because of the vaser device’s thin cannulas, small incisions are opened in the procedure area and fat tissue is melted with the help of ultrasonic sound waves and removed through these incisions. Therefore, no scar is left in any site after the procedure. Furthermore, due to the tightening effect of the device, the muscles might get more prominent after the operation.
Gynecomastia surgery is a complex procedure that may leave behind scars, but the extent and visibility of the scars can vary based on the type of surgery performed and the techniques employed. To minimize visible scarring, the surgeon will often make incisions in inconspicuous areas such as around the edge of the areola or in the underarm area. Despite best efforts, some scarring is to be expected, but it typically fades over time and becomes less noticeable.
To minimize the risk of scarring, it’s important to follow all post-operative instructions and take good care of the incision sites. This may include keeping the area clean and dry, avoiding strenuous activity and wearing compression garments if recommended by the surgeon. Your surgeon will discuss the potential for scarring during the consultation and advise you on ways to reduce the risk of scarring.
It’s worth noting that while scarring is a possibility after gynecomastia surgery, the benefits of the procedure can be life-changing for those suffering from the condition. With proper care and attention, any scarring can be minimized, allowing patients to enjoy the full benefits of their surgery.
How Much Do Gynecomastia Surgery cost?
The cost of gynaecomastia surgery in Turkey can vary depending on several factors, such as the technique used, the surgeon’s experience, the facility’s location, and the extent of the surgery.
On average, the cost of gynaecomastia surgery in Turkey ranges from $2,000 to $4,000 USD. However, this is just an estimate, and the cost may be higher or lower depending on the individual case.
It is essential to keep in mind that the cost of surgery in Turkey may not include additional expenses such as anesthesia, medication, pre-operative tests, and follow-up appointments. Therefore, it is important to confirm what is included in the cost before proceeding with the surgery.
Additionally, it is recommended to choose a qualified and experienced surgeon, even if it means paying a higher cost. It is also advisable to research the facility and read reviews from previous patients to ensure that you receive high-quality care during and after the surgery.
For Turkish Ministry of Health-accredited centers, it is not legal to specify prices on their website. Therefore, please dial 0212 241 46 24 to contact our polyclinic and get information on our Gynecomastia Surgery prices.